Epic Games really lived up to the first part of their name when they made a major announcement that Xbox cross-platform play would be available for Fortnite in the near future.
In partnership with Microsoft, cross-progression, purchase and play will be available between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android, a historic milestone in the gaming industry.
While Playstation and Xbox have yet to show any strides toward a cross-play partnership, Microsoft is setting the bar and placing pressure on the industry to evolve with this move.
The team behind Fortnite certainly wants to make it happen as they said last year that they would “do whatever it takes” to bring Sony in the fold.
Hopefully it opens doors to more cross-play opportunities, and hopefully a Xbox/Playstation cross-play venture, in the future.
Here is what the Fortnite team said:
“We’re happy to announce today that in partnership with our friends at Microsoft, Fortnite will feature cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-purchase, between Xbox One, PC, Mac, iOS and (in the next few months) Android.
Contrary to what may have been implied, Microsoft has long been a leading voice in supporting cross-platform play, connecting players across PC, mobile and all consoles. We’ve been working together with them over the last several months to make this possible, and will bring this functionality to Fornite players on Xbox right along with other platforms.
With each new platform we support and every update we ship, we strive to bring Fortnite to more people, and make it easier to play together with friends. And, as always, cross-play is opt in.
As we shared a few days ago, starting Monday you can sign-up for the Fortnite Invite Event on iOS. On phones and tablets, Fortnite is the same 100-player game you know from Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and Mac. Same gameplay, same map, same content, same weekly updates.””
Fortnite Dropping Trailers for Season 9
Fortnite has been busy on social media, particularly Twitter, where it has dropped a handful of trailers hyping up the arrival of Season 9.
With the Tilted Towers now destroyed, damage reaching a number of other areas, and the Drum Gun back in circulation, there is a lot going on, and a lot in store as we head into Season 9, which is set to arrive on May 9th.
Fortnite Update 8.51 Brings the Shadow Bomb
Epic Games has rolled out a brand new update, update 8.51, for Fortnite and it is highlighted by the Shadow Bomb.
Here are the patch notes:
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Shrouds yourself in shadow, briefly becoming invisible to enemies.
- 6-second duration
- User becomes more visible to others near the end of the effect.
- Increases your movement speed, provides the ability to double jump, and wall jump.
- Players are unable to attack, build, or loot while under the effects of the Shadow Bomb.
- Rarity: Uncommon
- Can hold a maximum of 6
- Can be found from Floor Loot, Chests, Supply Drops, and Supply Llamas.
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Sound effects for Jetpacks were occasionally playing much louder than they should be.
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- The Victory Royale UI animation was displaying for all players in Limited Time Modes with respawning enabled.
Previous Fortnite patch notes for update 8.50 (Battle Royale only)
Here are the Fortnite 8.50 patch notes for the Battle Royale mode, with credit to Epic Games and copied verbatim from the official Fortnite site.
LIMITED TIME MODE: ENDGAME
- Thanos and his Chitauri invade the Battle Royale island, in search of the six Infinity Stones.
- Endgame features a team of heroes fighting to stop Thanos and his Chitauri from claiming all six Infinity Stones.
- Both teams respawn when eliminated until the other side completes their objective.
- On one side is the Hero team. Heroes respawn when eliminated until the enemy team has found all six Infinity Stones.
- Heroes start with a treasure map that leads directly to a Mythic Avengers item.
- Other Avengers items can be found in Chests throughout the map.
- The goal for the Hero team is to destroy the Chitauri army and defeat Thanos.
- Team Thanos is comprised of Chitauri Invaders and Thanos himself.
- Chitauri Invaders start with a powerful laser rifle, an anti-structure grenade attack, and a jetpack that lets them briefly leap high into the air.
- The first Chitauri to recover an Infinity stone will be transformed into Thanos.
- Thanos has a powerful punch, a destructive beam attack, and the ability to jump high into the air and then smash anything in his way when he comes back down.
- Each time an Infinity Stone is claimed, Thanos’ abilities grow more powerful and the Chitauri gain health.
- Reality Stone (Red) = Heath & Shields doubled (1000->2000)
- Soul Stone (Orange) = Siphon activated (grants Thanos shields only)
- Mind Stone (Yellow) = Jump height doubled
- Space Stone (Blue) = Ground Pound AOE size tripled, damage x6
- Time Stone (Green) = Big knockback added to each hit, damage x3
- Power Stone (Purple) = Laser damage x6
- If Thanos is eliminated from the match, another Chitauri will become him after a short wait (unless Thanos is the last one standing).
- If Thanos & the Chitauri find all six Infinity Stones, Heroes will no longer be able to respawn.
- The goal for Thanos and his army is to find the stones and then eliminate the remaining heroes.
Fortnite Season 9 Could See Battle Pass Gifting
Epic Games could be rolling out a nice new feature to the popular Fortnite game next season, according to dataminers.
According to Fortnite News, players will soon be able to gift a Battle Pass to other players, and that feature is likely to be rolled out for Season 9.
FORTNITE BATTLE ROYALE –— Guille-GAG – Fortnite Leaks & News (@Guille_GAG) October 13, 2018
We can now confirm you are ABLE to GIFT BATTLE PASSES. pic.twitter.com/pOuNPqT7QK
- Rockstar Games Resolves Issues Involving Players Finding Mass Grave of Dead Horses in Red Dead Online
- Total War: Three Kingdoms Launch Trailer Arrives
- Overwatch Anniversary Event Kicks off May 21st
- Upcoming Apex Legends Patch Aims to Address Numerous Issues
- Destiny 2: Season of Opulence Exotic Nerfs
- Rainbow Six Siege Unveils Reverse Friendly Fire Punishment
- Respawn Planning to Ban Piggy-Backing in Apex Legends
- News6 months ago
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Patch 1.0.7 Is Here
- News9 months ago
Bungie Outlines Infamy, Gambit Ranking System for Destiny 2: Forsaken
- News9 months ago
Red Dead Redemption 2 Reveals Characters
- News5 months ago
New Patch Arrives for Darksiders 3
- News10 months ago
Ghost Recon Wildlands’ Rainbow Six Siege Crossover Mission Now Available
- News2 months ago
The Division 2: Clan System Breakdown
- News9 months ago
No Man’s Sky Update 1.55 Is Out
- News7 months ago
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Appears on Playstation Store, Out in December