Epic Games is planning to release a suite of cross-platform services that they intend to be free for all developers, releasing a roadmap of their plans.
Epic announced on Wednesday that a free service which supports cross-platform play across all major platforms “to the full extent each platform allows per-title.”
“At Epic, our goal is to help game developers succeed. Throughout 2019, we’ll be launching a large set of cross-platform game services originally built for Fortnite, and battle-tested with 200,000,000 players across 7 platforms. These services will be free for all developers, and will be open to all engines, all platforms, and all stores. As a developer, you’re free to choose mix-and-match solutions from Epic and others as you wish.”
Here is the roadmap:
- Cross-Platform Login, Friends, Presence, Profile, and Entitlements (coming Q2-Q3 2019 to PC, other platforms throughout 2019): Provides the core functionality for persistently recognizing players across multiple sessions and devices; identifying friends; and managing free and paid item entitlements. This will support all 7 major platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch) to the full extent each platform allows per-title.
- PC/Mac Overlay API (coming Q3 2019): Provides a user interface for login, friends, and other features in a game-agnostic, engine-agnostic way.
- Cross-Platform Voice Comms (coming Q3 2019 to all platforms): Epic is building a new in-game voice communications service supporting all platforms, all stores, and all engines, which will be available for free. (For developers needing an immediately-available voice solution, check out Discord, Vivox, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.)
- Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking (coming Q3-4 2019 to all platforms)
- Cross-Platform Data Storage, Cloud-Saved Games (coming Q2 2019)
- Cross-Platform Achievements and Trophies (coming Q3 2019)
Fortnite Dropping Trailers for Season 9
Fortnite has been busy on social media, particularly Twitter, where it has dropped a handful of trailers hyping up the arrival of Season 9.
With the Tilted Towers now destroyed, damage reaching a number of other areas, and the Drum Gun back in circulation, there is a lot going on, and a lot in store as we head into Season 9, which is set to arrive on May 9th.
Fortnite Update 8.51 Brings the Shadow Bomb
Epic Games has rolled out a brand new update, update 8.51, for Fortnite and it is highlighted by the Shadow Bomb.
Here are the patch notes:
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Shrouds yourself in shadow, briefly becoming invisible to enemies.
- 6-second duration
- User becomes more visible to others near the end of the effect.
- Increases your movement speed, provides the ability to double jump, and wall jump.
- Players are unable to attack, build, or loot while under the effects of the Shadow Bomb.
- Rarity: Uncommon
- Can hold a maximum of 6
- Can be found from Floor Loot, Chests, Supply Drops, and Supply Llamas.
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- Sound effects for Jetpacks were occasionally playing much louder than they should be.
Bug Fixes & Improvements
- The Victory Royale UI animation was displaying for all players in Limited Time Modes with respawning enabled.
Previous Fortnite patch notes for update 8.50 (Battle Royale only)
Here are the Fortnite 8.50 patch notes for the Battle Royale mode, with credit to Epic Games and copied verbatim from the official Fortnite site.
LIMITED TIME MODE: ENDGAME
- Thanos and his Chitauri invade the Battle Royale island, in search of the six Infinity Stones.
- Endgame features a team of heroes fighting to stop Thanos and his Chitauri from claiming all six Infinity Stones.
- Both teams respawn when eliminated until the other side completes their objective.
- On one side is the Hero team. Heroes respawn when eliminated until the enemy team has found all six Infinity Stones.
- Heroes start with a treasure map that leads directly to a Mythic Avengers item.
- Other Avengers items can be found in Chests throughout the map.
- The goal for the Hero team is to destroy the Chitauri army and defeat Thanos.
- Team Thanos is comprised of Chitauri Invaders and Thanos himself.
- Chitauri Invaders start with a powerful laser rifle, an anti-structure grenade attack, and a jetpack that lets them briefly leap high into the air.
- The first Chitauri to recover an Infinity stone will be transformed into Thanos.
- Thanos has a powerful punch, a destructive beam attack, and the ability to jump high into the air and then smash anything in his way when he comes back down.
- Each time an Infinity Stone is claimed, Thanos’ abilities grow more powerful and the Chitauri gain health.
- Reality Stone (Red) = Heath & Shields doubled (1000->2000)
- Soul Stone (Orange) = Siphon activated (grants Thanos shields only)
- Mind Stone (Yellow) = Jump height doubled
- Space Stone (Blue) = Ground Pound AOE size tripled, damage x6
- Time Stone (Green) = Big knockback added to each hit, damage x3
- Power Stone (Purple) = Laser damage x6
- If Thanos is eliminated from the match, another Chitauri will become him after a short wait (unless Thanos is the last one standing).
- If Thanos & the Chitauri find all six Infinity Stones, Heroes will no longer be able to respawn.
- The goal for Thanos and his army is to find the stones and then eliminate the remaining heroes.
Fortnite Season 9 Could See Battle Pass Gifting
Epic Games could be rolling out a nice new feature to the popular Fortnite game next season, according to dataminers.
According to Fortnite News, players will soon be able to gift a Battle Pass to other players, and that feature is likely to be rolled out for Season 9.
FORTNITE BATTLE ROYALE –— Guille-GAG – Fortnite Leaks & News (@Guille_GAG) October 13, 2018
We can now confirm you are ABLE to GIFT BATTLE PASSES. pic.twitter.com/pOuNPqT7QK
- Rainbow Six Siege Unveils Reverse Friendly Fire Punishment
- Respawn Planning to Ban Piggy-Backing in Apex Legends
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood Aiming to Be More Detailed, Layered
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey May Update Brings 9th Tales of Greece Episode, More
- Predator Hunting Grounds Coming Out 2020
- Sony Unveils Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
- Rage 2 Hypes Release with Launch Trailer
- News6 months ago
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Patch 1.0.7 Is Here
- News9 months ago
Bungie Outlines Infamy, Gambit Ranking System for Destiny 2: Forsaken
- News8 months ago
Red Dead Redemption 2 Reveals Characters
- News5 months ago
New Patch Arrives for Darksiders 3
- News10 months ago
Ghost Recon Wildlands’ Rainbow Six Siege Crossover Mission Now Available
- News2 months ago
The Division 2: Clan System Breakdown
- News9 months ago
No Man’s Sky Update 1.55 Is Out
- News6 months ago
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Appears on Playstation Store, Out in December