EA is looking to dedicate more resources to the development of open-world games due to the popularity and market success of the genre.
“It’s definitely a thing inside of EA, they are generally pushing for more open-world games,” says Heir. “And the reason is you can monetise them better. The words in there that were used are ‘have them come back again and again’. Why do you care about that at EA? The reason you care about that is because microtransactions: buying card packs in the Mass Effect games, the multiplayer. It’s the same reason we added card packs to Mass Effect 3: how do you get people to keep coming back to a thing instead of ‘just’ playing for 60 to 100 hours?”
“The problem is that we’ve scaled up our budgets to $100m+ and we haven’t actually made a space for good linear single-player games that are under that. But why can’t we have both? Why does it have to be one or the other? And the reason is that EA and those big publishers in general only care about the highest return on investment. They don’t actually care about what the players want; they care about what the players will pay for. You need to understand the amount of money that’s at play with microtransactions.”
“That’s the reason other EA products started getting multiplayer that hadn’t really had them before, because we nailed it and brought in a ton of money. It’s repeatable income versus one-time income. I’ve seen people literally spend $15,000 on Mass Effect multiplayer cards.”
PUBG Patch 4.2 Rolls Out
PUBG has rolled out a new patch, patch 4.2, and with it comes a number of small features that have been on the wishlists of many of their dedicated players for a long time.
You can find the full patch notes below, courtesy of their official post.
PUBG PATCH 4.2 NOTES
Vehicle Handling Improvements
- Improved vehicle handling of the Scooter, Snowmobile, Snowbike and Motorcycle with Sidecar, thus improving overall driving stability.
Motorcycle with Sidecar off-road driving control and stability has been greatly improved.
Altered Blue Zone Edge Visual Effect
- To improve the gameplay experience, the rolling shimmer effect seen while at the edge of the Blue Zone will no-longer be seen at the center of the screen where the player is aiming.
Improved Visibility of Reticles Against Bright Backgrounds
- Visibility of all sight and scope reticles against bright backgrounds (such as Vikendi snowfields) has been slightly improved.
Throwables Friction Adjustment
Adjusted the friction force of throwables to make rolling movement more consistent and predictable.
- Smoke Grenades
Friction force has been increased to slow rolling speed and cause them to roll a shorter distance after impacting surfaces.
- Stun Grenades & Frag Grenades
Friction force has been decreased to speed up the rolling speed and increase distance they can travel after impacting surfaces.
Vehicle Engine Toggle
- Vehicle engines can now be turned off/on by pressing ‘Z’.
The engine can be turned off while driving, after gaining momentum and can be used for quiet, tactical maneuvers.
Once the engine is off, pressing ‘W’ to accelerate or ‘Z’ will start the engine again.
Vehicle engines will automatically be turned off if the vehicle stays at a standstill for 8 seconds, or 2 seconds after the driver disembarks.
Sound QoL Improvements
- Added master volume preview
- The master volume can now be previewed while in the menu, to better allow users to set their preferred maximum volume level.
This can be founder under Settings – Audio – Sound – Master volume and by clicking on the ‘play’ button.
- Added Instant Volume Reducer
This new feature temporary decreases the volume of games sound effects to facilitate more clear communication with teammates.
Use ‘F7’ to reduce game master volume, while maintaining the volume of voice chat.
Use ‘F7’ key again to return to the original volume
Overcast Weather added to Erangel
- When a match starts with overcast weather on Erangel, the weather will change dynamically over the course of the match between overcast, windy, hail, light rain, heavy rain (rain with lightning and thunder), and fog.
Destructible Objects on Erangel
- Additional destructible pylons and barricades have been added to Erangel. They can be destroyed by vehicles, weapons and explosions, but do provide a limited amount of cover until they are destroyed.
Some existing objects which were previously indestructible are now destructible, such as the traffic cones in Mylta.
Vikendi Ambient Noise Adjustment
- Volume of Vikendi’s ambient wind noise has been reduced.
Removal of PUBG Esports Signage
- As MET Asia Series and PUBG Nations Cup have now concluded, in-game signage across various maps and the starting plane has been removed.
In-game HUD Improvements
- Helmet and vest health is now better visualized on the UI, along with Backpack capacity.
- Weapon firing mode is now represented visually by icons, instead of text.
- To reduce unnecessary clutter, certain HUD and UI elements are no-longer displayed when waiting to start a match.
- Game version number, server identifier and other information is now located beneath the minimap, instead of the HP bar.
Store UI Improvement
- BP purchasable items are now marked with a BP icon in Store to better differentiate BP and cash items.
- Made performance improvements to mitigate client hitching/stuttering in certain situations.
- Added Erangel Visual Update option to Custom Matches
Erangel Visual Update will be called “Erangel” and the previous version will be called “Erangel Classic”.
All game modes will be playable on both Erangel variants.
- Team leaderboard UI seen in observer mode has been changed to allow 4 character team tags (previously 3).
- The replay system has been updated. Replay files from previous updates are now unavailable for use.
SKINS & ITEMS
New skins are available at in-game Store once PC Update 4.2 hits live servers.
- New BP purchasable items
Vector & SLR BattleStat skins
2 Madsy Shoes
- Twitch Broadcaster Royale Group 9 skins
More information will be released via an official announcement for Group 9 of Twitch Broadcaster Royale skins will be released after Update #4.2 arrives on live servers
- Added Regional Esports Baseball Bat skins in celebration of 2019 Phase 3 of PUBG Esports.
- Added Rabbit Season Set items, which can be found in the Featured Page of the in-game Store.
- Fixed an issue where other players would appear to enter the ground temporarily when the network environment is poor.
- Fixed an issue in which throwables appear to shake or display incorrectly when the network environment is poor.
- Fixed an issue where throwables would roll a longer than intended distance on slopes.
- Fixed an issue when walking backwards against the corner of objects, you couldn’t hear your own footsteps, although they were audible by other players.
- Fixed an issue where the item use sound was not audible when using an Adrenaline Syringe or Med kit with the -KoreanRating launch option.
- Fixed an issue where First aid kit, Adrenaline Syringe and Energy drink could sometimes not be heard from while in spectator view.
- Fixed an issue where Aqua Rail’s speed while reversing was almost same as when moving forward.
- Fixed an issue where constant collision noises could be heard when a vehicle was stationary against an object or terrain.
- Fixed an issue where vehicles can jitter and start rolling slowly while parked on an angled slope.
- Fixed an issue where weapon scope zoom was reset after performing specific actions.
- Fixed an issue where character animations are skewed when using an emote while affected by a Molotov.
- Fixed an issue where dropping weapons could only be heard by the player dropping the weapon.
- Fixed an issue where a faintly cross-shaped line was visible when the Holographic Sight reticle is set to max brightness.
- Fixed an issue where the BRDM-2 can sometimes sink if landing in water from the parachute.
- Fixed an issue where an active boost gauge would display when the UI was disabled.
- Fixed an issue where a placed marker’s location would change on the compass in some cases after opening the map and inventory in sequence.
- Fixed an issue where the Canted Sight binding would reset if set to alt + mouse wheel.
- Fixed an issue where the incorrect player name would display when spectating a disconnected player.
- Fixed an issue where raindrops could pass through certain vehicle roofs.
- Fixed an issue where character head models are not shown in replay or spectator when players enter the motorbike sidecar seat.
- Fixed an issue where footsteps could in some situations be heard intermittently from dead players.
- Fixed an issue where the key guide text was shown when spectating after dying in a squad match
- Fixed an issue where throwables couldn’t be directly picked up and equipped in the item slot when the backpack was full.
- Fixed an issue where the healing amount while using multiple bandages with the auto-bandage feature was less than if using them individually.
Bubble Bobble Sequel Adds Four-Player Co-Op to Nintendo Switch
A brand new entry into the classic Bubble Bobble franchise is on it’s way when Bubble Bobble 4 Friends officially launches in Europe on November 19th.
If you’re based in North America, the game will arrive within the first three months of 2020, and the game is entirely exclusive to Nintendo Switch.
Take a look at the official trailer for the new game:
Take A Look at Doom Eternal’s 2v1 Battlemode
Doom Eternal’s new Battlemode is the highly anticipated 2v1 multiplayer mode that will give you 6 arenas to choose from, along with five different demons to play.
- PUBG Patch 4.2 Rolls Out
- Bubble Bobble Sequel Adds Four-Player Co-Op to Nintendo Switch
- Take A Look at Doom Eternal’s 2v1 Battlemode
- Wolfenstein: Youngblood Update Allows You to Pause Game in Offline Mode
- Fortnite v10.10 Arrives
- Apex Legends Kicks Off Apex Legends Iron Crown Collection Event
- Blizzard Opens Name Reservation for World of Warcraft: Classic
- News9 months ago
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Patch 1.0.7 Is Here
- News1 year ago
Bungie Outlines Infamy, Gambit Ranking System for Destiny 2: Forsaken
- News10 months ago
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Appears on Playstation Store, Out in December
- News12 months ago
Red Dead Redemption 2 Reveals Characters
- News1 year ago
Ghost Recon Wildlands’ Rainbow Six Siege Crossover Mission Now Available
- News8 months ago
New Patch Arrives for Darksiders 3
- News5 months ago
The Division 2: Clan System Breakdown
- News1 year ago
No Man’s Sky Update 1.55 Is Out