Overwatch’s Mercy is getting a massive overhaul according to developer Jeff Kaplan, “and it’s going to seem a little bit shocking at first,” Kaplan said.
The big shocker? Mercy’s ultimate ability will no longer be Resurrect, which will now be a secondary common ability.
Mercy will no longer have the ability to resurrect multiple teammates at once and the ability will have a “rather long cooldown”.
However, Mercy now has Valkyrie, an ability that allows her to fly.
“She can fly, and I don’t mean that she can Pharah-boost in the air briefly, I mean she can fly,” Kaplan described (h/t Polygon).
“And it’s super fun. You have complete control of your character. After all, Mercy has those wings we might as well put them to real use. I mean, Guardian Angel’s pretty good, but imagine flying with Mercy, how much fun it could be.”
Valkyrie also unleashes the full power of Mercy’s Valkyrie Suit, enhancing her weapons and abilities for 20 seconds and will also boost Mercy’s other abilities, giving her a shorter Resurrection cooldown and making her more powerful in “Battle Mercy” mode.
Here is the breakdown:
- Caduceus Staff: Mercy’s healing and damage boost beams now affect all allies near the targeted teammate, and the staff’s effective range has been extended
- Caduceus Blaster: Granted infinite ammo, while simultaneously increasing damage and fire rate
- Guardian Angel: Increased range and movement speed
- Resurrect: Cooldown is instantly reset when Valkyrie is activated and reduced to 10s after the initial cast
- Hover: Mercy gains the ability to fly freely, at increased movement speed
- Regeneration (Passive): No longer interrupted when Mercy takes damage